Friday, June 8, 2012

Sips, Week 1 - Square Peg

So maybe I went out of the gate a bit strong in week one by tweeting Michelle Obama.  I mean, does she really have any business ignoring a happy hour invitation from an amazing Sips crowd, complete with Google Group?  I think not.  Alas, MObama passed on happy hour this week.  Maybe she's just not down with whiskey drinks and Dogfish beer.  Who am I to judge?


Even without the First Lady, we rocked week one at Square Peg.  A replacement for one of the 500 Marathon restaurants in Philadelphia, Square Peg does a nice job of combining chill relaxed atmosphere with fancy [read: strong] drinks and a good beer list.  Our group was fairly indicative of the population at Square Peg, though -- Lots. Of. Ladies.  I mean, I love my girls, but I don't go to happy hour to check out too-high stiletto heels and the newest of summer handbags.  Throw me a bone here, boys!  Big shout outs to Anthony and Ankur for hanging with the ladies for an evening.  


For all of those who care (uh...mom?) here's my rundown on Square Peg, at least for happy hour on a summer Wednesday...


- The Sips specials were fantastic -- good beer, strong drinks, decent wine
- The food specials seemed to be a little weak, but I didn't eat them so really have no business commenting
- Just behind the bar was a bottle of Death's Door vodka.  I think I'll pass.
- The bartenders were friendly and fairly accommodating.  They did ask for open tab names about 100 times, but I can barely remember the name of my co-worker who has sat in the cubicle next to me for 2 years, so I can't blame them.  
- The bartender with the most impressive handlebar mustache really made my evening.  From what I understand from my guy friends, growing facial hair that can be that finely groomed is a feat in itself; the fact that he pulled it off with ease makes him quite the rockstar.  


...and then it ended.  The only rule of Sips is that when the specials end, we go home....until next week!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment